The Persian Butternut squash dessert is great to make while they are still in season.
For this dessert, you’ll need to buy butternut squash with a long neck.
For an added flavour and a southern touch, you may make this dessert with date syrup or for a Hamedani-style pumpkin dessert you may use grape syrup as the sweetener instead of using the regular sugar.
Ingredients (Serves 4-6):
- 1 large butternut squash with long-neck, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick (will yield approximately 15 slices)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar (adjust to your liking)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed saffron dissolved in 2-3 tablespoons of hot water
- 1/2 cup Water
- In a large frying pan, heat butter and oil, over medium heat. Add the butternut squash slices to the pan. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until just tender.
- n a small pot, over medium heat combine sugar and a half a cup of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Arrange the butternut squash slices in a large pan, pour the syrup and saffron evenly over them. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, leave the lid ajar and cook 20-30 minutes or until the butternut squash is tender and all syrup is absorbed.
- Serve on the platter and garnish with walnuts, pistachios and rose petals.